Monday, October 20, 2008

Story of Us- Prologue

The story of us started ages ago; it’s still beginning. It will go on beginning forever because we don’t know when it will end, if it will end, if it is even possible. After all, you have already affected the person I am, and aren’t such things fated to happen before they begin? So then you have always affected me, even before I know who you were and long after we have stopped being with each other, because our lives were meant to touch, and you were meant to make me a better person. I can only pray I am such to you, and these are marks I will carry with me forever—so you have always been with me and always will be.

 

I keep you safe inside somewhere, next to all the lessons you’ve taught me. They’re kept in an adjoining room because sometimes all I want is to picture you alone, the way you were before we really imprinted on each other, before you slipped inside this safe space in me, before I found a home inside of you. I can pull the lessons out as needed, but sometimes I simply need you. So you have your own room in the mansion inside of me. Those memories of seeing your face turned a certain way, of words you might have said, of the feelings you found in me—those deserve their own privacy. 

No comments: